Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, is a common condition in which the force of blood pushing against the walls of your arteries is consistently too high. The higher your blood pressure levels, the more stress is put on your heart and blood vessels. This can damage them over time and increase your risk of serious health problems, such as heart attack, stroke, heart failure, and kidney disease.
Causes of High Blood Pressure
Many factors can contribute to hypertension, including:
- Age: Your risk of high blood pressure increases as you get older.
- Family history: If you have a family history of high blood pressure, you are more likely to develop it yourself.
- Race: African Americans are more likely to have high blood pressure than Caucasians.
- Weight: Being overweight or obese increases your risk of high blood pressure.
- Physical activity: Physically inactive People are more likely to have high blood pressure.
- Smoking: Smoking can damage your blood vessels and make your blood pressure go up.
- Excessive alcohol consumption: Drinking too much alcohol can raise your blood pressure.
- Certain medications: Some medications, such as steroids and birth control pills, can raise your blood pressure.
- Certain medical conditions: Some medical conditions, such as kidney disease and diabetes, can increase your risk of high blood pressure.
Most people with high blood pressure do not have any symptoms. This is why it is important to have your blood pressure checked regularly, even if you feel fine. If you do have symptoms, they may include:
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
- Chest pain
Hypertension is typically diagnosed through a blood pressure reading. At VITALIZE, we may also perform additional tests to identify any underlying health conditions that may be contributing to your high blood pressure.
The goal of treatment for high blood pressure is to lower your blood pressure to a safe level. Our naturopathic approach to managing hypertension involves personalized treatment plans that address the root causes of your high blood pressure. This may include:
- Dietary changes and nutritional supplementation
- Exercise and stress reduction techniques
- Botanical medicine and other natural therapies
- Conventional medication management, if necessary
At VITALIZE, we work with you to create a comprehensive treatment plan that supports your health and wellbeing. We understand that this can be a frustrating condition, and we are here to help you get the relief you need. Our team of experienced naturopathic doctors will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that meets your individual needs using naturopathic and functional medicine. We are committed to helping you improve your quality of life and reduce your risk of serious health problems. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.